Saturday, July 30, 2011

Jehovah-Jireh

I keep discovering that God is a God who provides.

I’m starting to notice a pattern.  A few years ago with summer quickly approaching, I anxiously held my breath wondering whether one of my internship opportunities was going to open up.  A meaningful internship would be an important step toward law school on my resume; another summer at McDonalds would not be.  As the hour grew late, it was looking bleak, and then I received a call from Governor Granholm’s office.  What an opportunity!  This indeed was a step toward law school.

Then on the eve of last summer.  On the one hand, it was imperative that I make some significant income for my school expenses.  On the other hand, I once again needed something that would improve my resume on my progression toward law school.  I had several leads and was disheartened as each one folded.  What’s going on God?  Why not this one?  Why not that one?  Are You going to provide?  And once again, just as things were looking bleak, an opportunity far better than the leads I had been chasing suddenly opened up:  a summer as the Tibbits assistant box office manager.

This keeps happening.  And in the last few weeks and months, through the love and generosity of family, friends, and my family in Christ both in Coldwater and at the Chapel here in Williamsburg, I see God once again providing what I need.  As this Fellows Program draws near with the sizeable financial cost that it involves, I’d be lying if I said that I hadn’t quietly fretted, quietly wondered where the provision was going to come from.  What’s going on God?  I thought it was Your will that I commit to this program.  I thought this was where You wanted me to be next year.  How is this all going to work out?

Yes, I’m learning more and more that God provides all we need to do what He has purposed for us to do.  If God feeds the sparrows and clothes the lilies, surely He will provide for me.  Jesus instructs us, “ask and you will receive.”  Grammatically, this verse is more accurately rendered, “keep asking and you will receive.”  We must keep approaching the throne of grace and petitioning God.  And sometimes I wonder if I’m petitioning enough, but I know that even when we’re faithless, God is faithful.  Although I still have a ways to go to meet my financial obligations for the program, I have a sense of peace and assurance knowing that God’s blessing is with me in this.

I recall the words of a worship song that I grew up singing at the Coldwater Nazarene Church.  I didn’t understand the words then.  I’m beginning to understand them now:

Jehovah-Jireh my Provider
His grace is sufficient
For me, for me, for me
Jehovah-Jireh my Provider
His grace is sufficient for me.

My God shall supply all my needs
According to His riches in Glory
He will give His angels charge over me
Jehovah-Jireh cares for me,
For me, for me,
Jehovah-Jireh cares for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment